My Desire Came True

Finally, the mobile PC I've been longing for has arrived.

I've been longing for something I can bring and compute on the go. I needed for something I can be productive with anywhere I go. And there were lots of features I desired for.

I've been interested in the world of netbooks and other ultra-portable PCs. They had the most decent of features that makes computing more personal and meaningful.

And with the rising trend of these lilliputians comes a competition: tablet PCs, set to become a trending craze this 2011. But I doubt the tablet PC will become a trend when it comes to practical computing: word processing, presentations, data analysis, and software development. But I will see what the future will bring to these computers with the capable of being touched with. :-)

It was just weeks ago that I wished a mobile PC will come at my lap where I can fast-track my projects as my aging sick Pentium 4 desktop can't cope with my software. Not to mention the tremendous noise, the irritating heat, and annoying power consumption it generates when its on, since my siblings and I use the desktop for hours. (My family has been complaining the high electricity bill acquired since we had our desktop.) That was when I moved to having a mobile PC.

What I didn't expect that what I desire to have came from a surplus computer store.


And it's a Dell. Yes, it's a Dell Latitude D420.


The Dell Latitude D420, launched mid-2006, is part of the line of business laptops from the American computer manufacturer. It features a 12.1" widescreen LCD display that has an ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts its brightness levels in different lighting conditions. My model features the Intel Centrino Duo platform, featuring an Intel Mobile 945 Express chipset, a dual-core Intel Core Duo processor clocked at 1.2GHz, and an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter. It has 80 GB of hard disk space inside.

What I like about Dell's laptops, especially the Latitude line, is the durable magnesium alloy casing. It doesn't feel flimsy at all when I carry it with one hand or lay my hands on the palm rest. With business in mind, this line of laptops were developed for the road warrior, who constantly travels back and forth and can encounter bumps, knock and falls. Dell has therefore developed its RoadReady (TM) technology to ensure its efficient durability. The colors in this laptop are very professional - with dabs of silver, gray, black and blue details. Its lesser curves give a masculine and straightforward feel to it.

My family bought this Korean surplus model (obvious with the Korean Hangul characters on the keyboard) at a surplus store in Bajada. And, believe me, it was worth our money's worth. (I can't tell you the price since it has discounted so much, you might say 'it's not a good buy at all'.)

Being small, like netbooks, it doesn't have an internal optical drive. But the model I bought had an external drive included in the package, which I am glad of. The first CD I burned with this is a copy of Ubuntu 10.04 (which I will install in here in the next few weeks). The system inside right now is a Windows XP SP3. I'm wanting to switch to Windows 7 if time allows.
The notebook has 2 pointing options: a trackpoint and a touchpad. These were very comfortable for me and I am glad that I could navigate pages and links with ease through these features.

Having said, the performance of this laptop is decent yet efficient enough to use less power due to the ULV (ultra low-voltage) implementation of the processor in it. I can do Maxima calculations in half the time which is more than I expected on the netbook I tried from an AMAT student (an Asus Eee PC 1000HA with Intel Atom N270). I can do NetBeans seamlessly and I plan to do my Java and PHP projects (including my current work, the Himati PCMS) in here. Web browsing is excellent with its included Wi-Fi technology. And combined with a Smart Bro dongle which worked wonders, I can surf the Net with ease, too.

It has lots of ports, too. It has 3 USB ports, a D-Sub VGA port, an IEEE 1394 port, a gigabit LAN, a modem jack, and an Infrared slot. It has Bluetooth inside too, which has been a plus for me given that I can use my Cherry Mobile D35 as a remote control via the Bluetooth HID profile.


I'm beginning to love this laptop, and I can't help but hug it. With its sturdy form, small size, decent features, lots of options, and great looks, this laptop is handsome as it is light.

Cheers!
KENNETH

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth