Moments of Dev Stress


There were times I just couldn't stand the stress of being in front of my dear lappie, typing and surfing the Web all day finding solutions to my dev problems.

I mean, how can you survive staring at that Notepad++ window seeing those eye-straining lines of colour-coded code depicted in oh-so-boring Courier New. Like, can we just change the font to a more legible one or put some colourful character to it as a background?

Or at those times when you were desperately looking for a decent WiFi connection around the city for you to download the latest IDE release, the latest XAMPP package, or the recent Ubuntu Linux version, wasn't it painstakingly done? That 800 MB installer through BitTorrent won't cut into your mobile broadband stick's data cap. What a shame.

Or fixing the problem with your slow, outdated computer, making stress of repairable defects. The headphone jack is loose, the LCD screen border just cracked, you hardly press the Return key. Can't help but whine over it.

In most cases, I would just have contracted symptoms of dev stress.

I'm a software developer. Not just a programmer who types lines of code. I have to plan. I have to think quick yet easy. With that, stress is inevitable. You feel uneasy. You feel irritated. You feel things can stop. Your body aches. Lots more.

What do I do to de-stress myself?

1. Have cups of tea. I'm more of a tea person. Coffee just doesn't really work wonders for me. That excess caffeine doesn't help me stay awake, it even makes me more sleepy. That's why I settled for warm tea, preferably green tea or orange pekoe tea. I don't really put much sugar in it; I like it more with cream and a squeeze of lemon or calamansi. I keep it full-bodied for that soothing yet uplifting flavour. Plus I get cathechins and other antioxidants in it! Perfect with light snacks of cookies or cupcakes!

2. Once in a while I exercise. I stretch my limbs and arms. I do neck exercises. I close my eyes for a while. During lab exercises in school, I don't really like staring at the screen most of the time. It's not good for the eyes. If possible, I wiggle my hands and toes just to keep the blood flow going and not let it go numb.

3. Keep a mirror handy. Even a glossy-screen gadget can do. Although I loathe glossy screens on laptops, it certainly doesn't for cellphones, as it can serve as a portable mirror as well. Once in a while, I stare at that glossy object and make faces, but never ever forget to smile! It's a great facial exercise!

4. Release my inner me on my code's comments! Unless your project's a very serious business application, I put some funny comments on my code just to release. Maybe some text art, jokes or cheesy lines that describe the code. For instance, in one of my Special Problem's modules which helps post feedback, I put something like this on the script:

public function insert_log($input)
    {        
 //When you want to send love, please use this.
//   ^^^^^^^^ 
//  (== V == )/ ! --Paging the love bug... we need feedback
// << / |||  >>
//   ==   ==
 
        return $this->db->insert('contact_log', array(
            'name' => $input['name'], //Tell me your name...
            'email' => $input['email'], //...oh please tell me your name
            'subject' => $input['subject'], //what do you do for a living
            'message' => $input['message'], //what do you want me to do
            'company_name' => $input['company_name'], //are you mine?
            'sender_agent' => $input['sender_agent'], //what do you use?
            'sender_ip' => $input['sender_ip'], //your specific place in my heart
            'sender_os' => $input['sender_os'], //how you use your love life   
            'sent_at' => time(), //remember the time we met together
        ));    }

Haha. But be sure you remove it on your final release. Unless your boss likes it.

5. Finally, think of the LORD always. Be reminded that He is always with you every step of the way.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

That's what He commanded to us. Communication with Him will help you settle these things.

Stress happens, but it can always be managed. Have a great day!
KENNETH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth