It's About Time


Hello, friends!

It's been about a good 5 months since I took a step further and won over my doubts. I constantly prayed that I would graduate from UP Mindanao, when at those times I wasn't deserving to graduate because I was doing nothing for my Special Problem and a major subject I did not complete. I was on the verge of failure.

My father kept on doubting about me. He told me that it would be better if I went on work even if I haven't graduated. But my mother and my two siblings held on to the promise that I can do these things.

On that time, I found out that I still am a child of God, and I can ask the Heavenly Father to guide me through the challenge. I sought the help of a few friends to pray for me as I went through those tough times. And through His Word on Psalm 13, I hoped that this challenge will come to pass.

And it did come true. I finally graduated on April 19, 2013. Not only that, my Special Problem was a finalist for the Best Special Problem competition for my degree, BS Computer Science!

At graduation day, wearing a barong Tagalog and a sablay, I took my diploma with pride and thanksgiving.

God's grace really works!

Yet this was just the beginning.

A few weeks after graduation, I was actively looking for job opportunities. It was a very difficult journey at that time, going through long queues, jampacked venues, and a chaotic scene. I had to walk around downtown Davao City just to list all job openings that was appropriate for me.

I've been to the May 1st Job Fairs at both Gaisano Mall of Davao and SM City Davao, joined another job fair at Abreeza Mall and another at NCCC Mall Davao. Job fairs here, job fairs everywhere. I once submitted my résumés to a Web development company, a mobile development company, an advertising firm, a call center, and even a TV station. But no-one replied as days passed by.

Until I this came into my memory:


The ad that caught my curiosity.
A few months before I graduated, I already had to drop from Mintal to the corner of Kawayan Drive in Matina to catch a jeepney to Gaisano Mall in Bajada. Everytime I drop by the corner, there was a peculiar ad that was posted on the building where Durian World (a pasalubong store) is. It caught my attention because it was something I thought could fit me if no IT company would hire me. Being a writer would be quite better for my part.

So I took the offer and submitted my résumé.

Starting small
The company is small, with only 5 staff, including me. My parents doubted my involvement with that company, because unlike a large corporate outfit, my benefits will not be that much. But I didn't give in with the doubt, as I got this from God's Word:

Proverbs 16:3 (NIV) 
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. 

From my initial role as a mere writer, now I am a content editor and virtual assistant. I still can possibly get a new role when we improve on our business. Even if I still struggle at first, this is my first work experience after all, and more good things shall follow. I believe with my perseverance I can do things well.
My first work vacation experience.
But this wasn't just that. Because my current boss wanted us to enjoy one of our holiday breaks, we had a vacation at one of the resorts in Davao, Forest Hill. This place brought a lot of memories, in particular, one of the gatherings with my BSCS batchmates. I enjoyed taking a dip again in the swimming pool, enjoying nature, and talking with my workmates.

Trying a zipline was fun.
But there was something I wanted to try - their zipline. I wanted to try one for the first time. So, I took the challenge with a workmate. At first, my feet were trembling, as I have a slight fear of heights. But for the sake of thrill, I wanted to get out of there and go all the way down there. I know God is with me to conquer my fear and I let go.

As I went all the way down the zipline, my adrenaline went so high that I screamed in excitement and thrill. For me it was something I will cherish all my work career.

I thank the LORD for it.

But this is just the beginning. It's about time to go to the next level.

In faith,
KENNETH

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth