Ba't ang Sarap Tawagin Kang "Kuya"

"Kuya"

Ito ang itinatawag sa mga kapatid na lalaki na mas matanda sa atin. Ito rin ay madalas itinatawag sa mga ka-eskwelahan na mas mataas ang antas o baitang sa atin. Ito ay madalas rin itinatawag sa mga kaibigang hindi naman kaanu-ano, ngunit itinuring na nating kapatid.

Why should I tell the Filipino address of "Kuya", and what does it mean to me? It is simply because I wanna express why I love those who call me this way so much.



I'm my family's firstborn, the panganay. So it's normal for my younger siblings and even my parents to call me "Kuya" all the time. Nevertheless, I love them so much for they are my family and I believe that they have felt the care I wanted to show them ever since I was born. I do care for them because I'm the Kuya.

Back in high school, I would always appreciate the talents and intellects of those not in my age level. In particular, I would always look up to those batches older than we are because they were the pioneers and the trailblazers. I would really call them "Kuya" or "Ate" (address for older sister) Also, I would also always appreciate the younger ones. They are have more potentials. In addition, most of them call me "Kuya Ken", naturally, for I am in a higher level than them.

Now in college, ever since the Batch 2008 entered UP Mindanao (I'm batch 2007), I have started to hear the greetings "Hello, Kuya Ken!", "Hi, Kuya Ken!", "Kuya Ken!", "Hi Kuya!", "Kuya!". At first, it was quite awkward; I was still adjusting to the personalities of the freshmen. But later, I felt so happy and relieved that I am called "Kuya" because I feel I care for them so much because I am so willing to help them in their needs, specially in some academic needs (mostly in Science and Math) and in some times, their personal needs, like if I observed them that they may need some advice, I would go near them and check them out. I thought that because of my good listening and logical skills, I thought I can be their guide, a counselor. If my batch only knew of my dedication to serve UP and definitely the country through them, I would be grateful of that.

Being a Kuya doesn't necessarily mean that you should be older in terms of age. I later found out that Pong, the first freshman I have met this academic year (refers to this post) was actually 6 months older than me. That means, he will turn 18 years-old earlier than I am next year. His high school batchmate, named James, turned 18 last September. I am still 17 years of age as of this post, but nevertheless, they call me "Kuya" simply because I'm an upperclassman and they're freshmen! How uplifting it is that you're called this way!

Being a Kuya doesn't necessarily mean that you should be in a higher level of educational attainment or whatnot. A few of my upperclassmen and batchmates who don't know me very much had accidentally called me "Kuya" in some times while I do my Student Volunteer job at the Learning Resource Center in UP Mindanao. How amazing it is that my new-found maturity bloomed, even in this young age of mine, ever since I've worked for UPMin!


It's truly nice that I am called Kuya, an elder brother. Ang sarap maging Kuya. Being an elder brother to them makes me happy, and contented that I will gain friends in the near future. Why not be a leader?




KENNETH




Subscribe to 'A Stellar Life' Feeds Today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth