I Am A 90's Baby

Booooh-ru-te-su...FAAAAAA-I-BAhhhh! (*thunder crack)

Quote from Sir Glenn
You know that you're a 90's kid when you know the following TV shows:
  • Flying House
  • Superbook
  • She-ra
  • He-man
  • Voltes 5
  • Daimos
  • Ultraman
  • Mask Rider
  • Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

I recently watched the re-runs of some of the shows above, and it felt quite nostalgic. I remember that we used to watch these in our small 14-inch TV set. Sometimes, we go to our friend's house to watch animated movies in their "betamax." It used those large video tapes.
Hehe, just reminiscing the yesteryears...
Ay naku, when I think of the 90's, all I think of was the anime Sir Glenn mentioned...and...er... Can I add some more shows?
  • GHOST FIGHTER
  • VR TROOPERS
  • FUSHIGI YUUGI (*too sensual and almost XXX)
  • SAILORMOON (*too girly)

The Chippy in its original glory.
If I was to ask what was I eating (or dreamt of eating) in the 90's, it was all about the Selecta ice cream in their original metal tubs (I used to make drums out of these), Magnolia (now Nestle) Twin Popsies were still bigger than my palm today, Jack n' Jill's Chippy, Piattos, Roller Coaster, and Nova were still in its early releases, the thick Monterey chicken nuggets and burger patties (off to school we go...), the Tender Juicy Hotdog (...he loves me...he loves me not...), Kraft Eden Cheese with the young Vandolph Quizon as the endorser, Texas Chicken (why did they die out? GRAVY???) and lastly the San Miguel Chinese-Style Luncheon Meat (which were to die for).


"...hanggang bukas, at magandang gabi...bayan"
As for those local TV shows, I got fell in love with Noli de Castro's TV Patrol, but I didn't fall in love with the Girlie Balaba & Art Bonjoc Jr's TV Patrol Mindanao, which was obviously in an incomprehensible language/dialect for me in that time - Cebuano/Bisaya (in school, we were not allowed to speak in the vernacular in class - we were even charged PhP 0.25 per sentence/phrase we utter, which goes to class funds).

Marvin and Jolina...a classic love team
Talk and lifestyle shows were proliferating on TV, too. Today with Kris and Teysi ng Tahanan were my favorites. (I used to remember dialing the Teysi ng Tahanan hotline number, even though the number was for Metro Manila. I usually get the "not yet in service" recording.)

Showbiz love teams? Marvin and Jolina, Rico and Juday, Echo and Kristine... at ewan ko na lang sa inyo. There were many of them.

Remember Magandang Gabi Bayan? This was my most favorite evening show every Saturday. But when the Halloween season comes forth, I get the real creeps because MGB gets this time to show a "Multo" special. I used to get those goosebumps when Noli de Castro shows himself from out of nowhere with a background of gravestones, smoke effects and eerie lighting. And the "re-enactments" were uber scary and looked true-to-life. (But I now raise my brows at the face of the "witch"-ish woman actress who plays the old hag in Pinoy "multo" flicks every now and then, even after MGB...I mean...duh...that's so ooooolllldddd...)



I mean...I love the 90's. Yeah, I'm a 90's baby.

KENNETH

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth