What I Need to Have on a Mobile PC

With the previous post I had because of my desperation of having a mobile PC, I'm considering the pros and cons:
  • PROS: I can have a computer that I can work on wherever I go. I can have something to work on when I am in school. I can just tote it off from the bag and compute al pronto (if it will be a netbook or a smaller/lighter laptop). I can do my programming and typing tasks right there. I can surf the Internet at school without paying additional fees using computers at the IT Kiosk, the CSM Library, or the ILC/LRC. I can have a computer that runs on batteries so AC power will not be much a problem when I run it at home or at school.
  • CONS: My family has a limited budget; we have to tap relatives. I have to suffer more luggage load (if ever it will be a full-sized laptop). My brother or sister might borrow it in case he will need it at school. I might still use our desktop in case it will not function as expected (if it will be a netbook).
...and the list grows.

So, what do I need to have for a mobile PC?

1. The decent performance to do programming tasks. Since I'm a Computer Science student and I study computers and software, I need a PC that could run my codes very smoothly without worrying about crashes or lags. I would also need something that has the decent processing power which is capable to perform compiling and running tasks at the earliest possible time.

Since my focus (and I think, my forte) is on web-based applications (usually in PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, HTML and CSS), I am considering a netbook because they are really just made for web-based applications. However I'll be considering something faster in processing and larger in memory in case I'll be programming standalone desktop programs such as those coded in C/C++ or Java.

2. The larger the battery life, the better. I wanted to be a road warrior when it comes to computing. I don't like staying at home or in the IT Kiosk or in the Internet cafe to do computing. I want to go anywhere I desire to go so that I can do my computing tasks, and at the same time, think of things and thoughts that I can work and write on. In addition, I'm looking for something that can have the portability that can last for a long time without having the surprise hassle to plug-in when it gets dead.

Still, I'm considering a netbook since they have longer battery lives than standard laptops. I will choose those with at least 6 hours battery life. But if ever it will be a laptop I'll be having, I want it to have at least 2.5 to 3 hours of battery life (since my breaks are usually between those time frames).

3. The power to do multimedia tasks. I don't just do programming. I often do multimedia as a hobby or as a sideline to my computing life. I like editing photos in GIMP whenever I feel to and edit videos in Windows Movie Maker whenever an assignment comes up.

If ever I will only have a netbook when budget is limited, I need something that can have the power to run graphics and video as smooth as possible so I can still do those tasks. HD resolutions are not my preference for now in my vlog, The ISKOnnector, so I just want something to work decently in (light) photo and video editing. Also, if ever there is a promo that an external optical drive comes with the purchase of that certain brand, I will get that buy so I can run and burn CDs easily (considering I will do this after I finish my programming projects too).

But if it will be a full laptop, the better. However, I'll be considering something with a larger hard drive to accommodate my growing number of ISKOnnector episodes and raw clips.

4. Something worth every peso. I want very decent yet powerful features yet at a price our family will afford, at the same time will last for a long time.

So what will I choose?
KENNETH

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth