My Chinese Name...

Back when I was in elementary in my Alma Mater, Colegio de San Ignacio, my first Chinese teacher, Mrs. Teresita Te, known as Siu Eng Siensi, gave me a Chinese name since I was just a new student there. Without knowing what does it mean, I was given by this name...

All I knew before that these two Chinese characters pronounced "ho peng" in Fukienese (or the Min dialect, spoken in Fujian Province in Mainland China). All I did was just practice its stroke order - writing it in the proper way (the stroke order is displayed in the animated order of these two characters).

It was Grade 4, that we were now introduced to Mandarin, the standard language of China, that I learned the Mandarin pronunciation of my Chinese name "hé píng". At that time, I mastered myself the art of the Chinese language...reading, writing, reciting, etc.

It was then Grade 6, when I enhanced my Chinese learning through our Chinese Consultant, Mrs. Nancy Ong, known as Theng-theng Siensi. I was enhanced in my ability to search definitions of Chinese characters through the Chinese Dictionary, whether I search by Radical (the root characters/strokes of each Chinese character), by ZhuYin FuHao (Traditional Chinese Phonetics, or the "bopomofo", much used in Taiwan) or by HanYu PinYin (Romanized Chinese phonetics, much used in Mainland China). I increased my interest in learning Chinese beyond on just learning the characters, the phonics and their definitions. I gained knowledge on its history, its purpose, and its mission in the whole world.

There I knew the meaning of this name in which I longed for to know...

peace

I questioned SiuEng Siensi on whom she adopted this Chinese name to me, in the later years of my High School years in CDSI. Then she told me that she got this name from a former student of hers when she was teaching at a Chinese school in Kidapawan, North Cotabato a decade ago or so. That student had gotten good in his studies and his deportment. There she realized that having me 'baptized' with this Chinese name was really worth it.

Having gained the knowledge of Chinese in the world of Information Technology, I wanted to decipher my name by character definitions, its pronunciation, and its code equivalents in Unicode, BIG5 (encoding for Traditional Chinese), or GB (for Simplified Chinese). Here it is: (From mandarintools.com. I just hope that your computer supports Chinese/Unicode)


Radical/Stroke: 口 + 5
Total Strokes: 8
Pinyin: hé
English definition: harmony, peace; peaceful, calm
Cantonese: wo4
Unicode: 548C
GB2312: BACD
BIG5: A94D
Components: 禾口


Radical/Stroke: 干 + 2
Total Strokes: 5
Pinyin: píng
English definition: flat, level, even; peaceful
Cantonese: ping4
Unicode: 5E73
GB2312: C6BD
BIG5: A5AD
Components: 平


I gained into the thought that learning Chinese, and its languages derived from it - Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, takes a lot of discipline and perseverance (and a lot of creativity, too). With this, you will achieve success.


和平
KENNETH



Digg!

Add to Technorati Favorites
Personal Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory


Subscribe to 'A Stellar Life' Feeds Today!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth