Something to Share: 3 St. Mark

I remembered a feature article by Mr. Rene Lizada about the CDSI Batch 2005, when they were still in 3rd High School. He wrote about his experience during the recollection of the class some time in March 2004. Here goes:

Thursday, March 11, 2004

3 Saint Mark
By Rene Lizada
Papa's Table

"We are trying to learn not to accompany gifts with advice or to suppose that we can protect you from being changed." - W.S. Merwin

THE people running Colegio de San Ignacio are doing something right.

About two months ago I was invited to give a recollection to the third year class of Colegio. This class is composed of mainly the pioneer students of that school. Their third year section is called St. Mark.
I was early when I got to the Presentation of Mary so I had some quiet moments with myself. I walked around and just took in the cold air. A few minutes later, Mrs. Cementina, the school directress, arrived and we had a very engaging talk about a lot of things.
It started to rain and I thought, this was perfect for a recollection. Moments later, the students arrived.
They looked like typical high school kids. We got to the hall and they started unloading their bags. They were told to get to their seats. I was observing them because frankly I was trying to size them up and honestly I felt good about them.
They settled quietly in their chairs and waited for the sessions to begin. They were well behaved and they knew their place even if no one told them anything.
That is always a good sign of good discipline. I went to the front and we began. We started at about 9 in the morning and we ended at 5.
I cannot, in detail, tell you what happened on that day but I would like to publicly acknowledge the class of St. Mark of the Colegio. My first impressions on them were proven right because they were well behaved and disciplined. They knew what to do and they did it with sincerity and openness.
Of course there were rough spots here and there, but the journey that we underwent was a remarkable and authentically human experience.
We laughed, we cried. We shared jokes, rap songs and even a violin interpretation. What was really heart warming was the sharing we did. There was boldness and courage there, despair and pain too.
We ran the whole gamut of teenage experience. One had no choice, but to feel compassion for these young people who at a early age have to face realities which were sometimes harsh and bitter. But the thing was as I sat there with them, listening to their fears and wishes, I was inspired because behind all that pain, I saw the determination to be better.
I saw the fortitude that would not be erased by the events of their lives. A lot of them faced things and situations that were not of their choice and they raged about it, cried over it. But in spite of all that, they stood by the thought that there was a tomorrow brighter than the today that they were facing. I saw courage, hope and faith in their eyes. It truly was a remarkable thing to see those in the faces of those young kids. And they were able to express themselves in English so well. Their ability and facility impressed a former English teacher like me.
These students were well taken care of. And I have to take my hat off to Teacher Nanan. We were co teachers before but she transferred and I could see that she is even more passionate now. I could see the happiness and the joy that she has with these kids.
She loves them and they love her. One cannot hide those things or pretend about them. One could not but help admire people like Nanan who dedicate their lives to the growth of young people. Nanan, you were good before. You are better today. The kids are fortunate to have you and if I know you well enough, you would say that you are lucky too because you have them.
In my brief talk with Mrs. Cementina I was inspired by her love for her students. She stayed with us the whole day listening and journeying with her students.
She cared for them and loved them. One touching moment in that recollection was when a student approached her and offered his jacket as it was cold and rainy. Those things cannot be bought. Those gestures are spontaneous but they come from the deep parts of our hearts.
I was tired when the recollection ended, it had been awhile since I stood for a day. But it felt good. When it was time for me to leave the students were fooling around and doing teenage banter. It was raining hard when I left, but as I was about to step into the rain, a student came up and opened a umbrella. I smiled. In spite of all what was going on, someone was concerned enough to open an umbrella.

The people running Colegio de San Ignacio are doing something right.

From Sun-Star Davao

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth