School is Back...Back to School! (Part 1)



I'm going back to school,
isn't that cool?
But I feel I came to the top,
Never felt like a fool.

Another year, another life.
A time for peace, a time for strife,
but what's life without school,
A place where life is truly rife*.

*extremely abundant


Dear friends,

It's another time for school. It's officially time for school in the University of the Philippines Mindanao. I'm now a sophomore of the prestigious National University.

Encountering the Freshmen

The 10th of June was truly a day. A total of 160++ freshmen (a decrease of about 70%), upperclassmen, the administration, faculty and staff arrived and gathered at the Atrium for the Opening Program. I can't imagine how few the freshmen are this year, not to mention the crises the nation has gone into. However, it's just the fact that we still have incoming students; that makes this year more exciting than the previous year.

But what excites me most is that I've come to finally meet the freshmen student of our degree program, BS Computer Science, and to see my fellow Komsai (Batch '07), the Comsci Bungol (Batch '06), and all other "upperclassmen" of the program. I observed that they are taller, more beautiful and handsome (no pun intended), predominantly younger and quite outgoing. Many were from Davao City, hailing from Davao City High (DCNHS), University of Mindanao, Ateneo de Davao, and many others. Some came from Cotabato, some from Davao del Norte, et cetera. A very diverse group indeed.

As we introduce ourselves to the freshmen on life in UPMin, I was given the opportunity to talk with them about what it means to survive the subjects they will get this semester, specially MATH17 (College Algebra and Trigonometry). I said that if they fail this subject (in which all in our batch pass, fortunately) they will delay their opportunity to continue with the major subjects in the degree program. Kuya Albert Oponda (Batch '06) added on that said delay [for one year, at most] stating that MATH17 is unlikely to be offered on the Second Semester, and that the 'mortality' rate is a mere 50/50. It did not happen to us last year, but after most of us have failed some of the major subjects (CMSC11, CMSC56, MATH26), we were cut to at least 10 "Regular" students who took the major subjects for the semester at the same time (CMSC21, CMSC57, MATH27). Fortunately, I am included to those people who survived those 'grueling' subjects.

The Verdict of the Previous Year

By the way, here are my tally of grades for the 2nd Semester, AY 07-08:

  • CMSC11 (Introduction to Computer Science): 2.50
  • CMSC56 (Discrete Mathematical Structures in Computer Science 1): 2.25
  • MATH26 (Analytic Geometry and Calculus 1): 3.00
  • SSP1 (Philippine History): 1.50
  • SSP3 (Foundations of Behavioral Sciences): 2.25
  • MST2 (Foundations of Natural Science 1): 2.00
GWA (Graded Weighted Average): 2.25

The year truly paid off for me that semester. I indeed have improved, even though it's not that quite. However, I really proved myself worthy, for I am still a regular student of the BSCS program. More effort this semester!

Dorm Rants & Reliefs

OK. Let's move on.

I was back in the EBL Dormitory and noticed that the upperclassmen were more numbered than the freshmen. I was not surprised, either, because most of us have a very few offenses or none at all.

I was just surprised when I found out that my freshmen roommates, who are from Davao City, will check in by next week! In this week, I lived alone in my room, but not quite alone.

I still have my fellow dorm mates/ batch mates in there. I still can communicate with the many people who run this dorm: the dorm manager, the houseparents, the nurses and a lot more. I even had the opportunity to meet some of the freshmen, specially the ones who are of our course.

I met one from South Cotabato nicknamed Pong, who was very accommodating with me and letting me see how he prepares for his life here in UPMin. He, together with his batchmate from the same province, has still doubts on passing the course, most specially the part of MATH17. But I said to them that they can get assistance from us upperclassmen so they can gain knowledge. I also advised this to other freshmen, too.


It's truly nice that I am called Kuya, an elder brother. Being an elder brother to them makes me happy, and contented that I will gain friends in the near future.

Check out Part 2 next time! Watch out for my Birthday posts, too!

KENNETH



(photo from http://www.upmin.edu.ph/)



Digg!

Add to Technorati Favorites
Personal Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory




Subscribe to 'A Stellar Life' Feeds Today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth