Convictions of the StellarBoy (Part 4)

I'm beginning to love my course. I don't know why I am beginning to become passionate with it, even though my forte is really not into Mathematics, the foundation of Computer Science. But because of the influence of YoungMah (Ms. Mayang Mata. Duh, haven't I told you last time?), my love-at-first-sight of the Linux operating system, the beauty of the C/C++ programming languages, my very inspiring (oh, yeah?), very intelligent (aminin!), very fun course-mates, whether they're freshies or my fellow up-class, I really prove that our Computer Science family in UPMin is not just about numbers, codes and other geeky things, not just about the competition, it's also about pure, clean, FUN!
I'm thinking of myself if I want to help the freshies get up with the difficulties we encountered during that second semester in our time when we too were freshmen. Their instructor in their major subjects CMSC 11 (Introduction to Computer Science), CMSC 56 (Discrete Mathematical Structures in Computer Science I), and MATH26 (Analytic Geometry and Calculus I) are all the same. CMSC11 and CMSC 56 will still be taught by Mr. Riannel B. Tecson (but with a CMSC 11 laboratory section headed by Mr. Glenn M. Guden, a new faculty member), MATH26 will still be taught by Ms. May Anne Mata. The experience might be as exciting as before.

I wanna share some insight to the BSCS freshmen on what may come out next semester:

  • CMSC11 is about the Introduction to Computer Science - concepts, the basic terms in computer hardware and software, the divisions of Computer Science, etc. Here they will be introduced to the C programming language, one of the most powerful programming language of today's time. I hope they have been acquainted much with computers as of now, since they may have acquainted with the Linux operating system for quite some time.
  • CMSC56 is about Discrete Mathematics - "countable" mathematics. They will be taught about the principles of Logic, a fundamental theory used in solving problems through Computer Science. Also they will have a basic introduction to Graph Theory, Sets and Boolean Algebra. I hope they will develop a logical mind for this.
  • MATH26 is the first installment of Analytic Geometry and Calculus. They will first have a review on Conic Sections: Lines, Parabolas, Ellipses and Hyperbolas, which is taught in MATH17. Next lessons will be about the fundamental of both Differential and Integral Calculus: Limits of Functions. Then basic Derivatives and Integrals. They should be prepared and have applied much of MATH17.
  • Sir Tecson's teaching style is mostly through a PowerPoint presentation, displaying most of the topics for the session. During laboratory sessions under him in our time, we were required to have a laboratory notebook - usually in the form of a record notebook, covered in red or blue, depending on the laboratory section. During quizzes and examinations, we are told not to put our names, just our student numbers.
  • Ma'am Mayang's teaching style is fast-paced, usually starts with a short review on the past topic and then goes further with the session's topic. She doesn't like reports (if there will be) that are too boring or monotonous, gusto niya, gipanggahut g'yud. In general, Ma'am Mayang is as smart as she is fun-loving. She likes to "squeeze out what we have learned" during exams. Just be prepared, she's fun to be with naman kung marunong silang makisabay.




My final convictions will be out soon.



KENNETH

Subscribe to 'A Stellar Life' Feeds Today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth