A Complex Life...

Dearie friends,

In the last two days, (last Thursday & Friday, at this time of posting) I was in University of the Philippines in Mindanao to join the Freshmen Orientation Program. As we all know, orientations makes us introduced to the life we will soon enter: what to and what not to do, who to contact when problems or queries arise, where to go during classes and how to cope up with UP life.

Being an "Iskolar ng Bayan" (a label for UP students) means that the government subsidises a part of the funds for the University expenses from the good and responsible taxpayers of the country. But carrying this label needs a lot of perseverance and a sense of dignity to achieve the EXCELLENCE that the University wants for its students.

We were introduced with a lot of things to remember, namely:

-The Office of Student Affairs: the one that caters to the needs of students: counselling, testing, health services, housing through the Elias B. Lopez Hall, etc. (If you weren't a stude of this institution, the Elias B. Lopez hall is named after one of the previous mayors of Davao City who was active in the University Student Council in UP Diliman, who also contributed to the realization of UP in Mindanao.)

-The Academic Policies: grading systems are very complicated. They range being "1.00" as the highest and "5.00" as the failing grade. There was one of the UP studes there who wore a shirt depicting a poem adopted from Joyce Kilmer's "Trees" which was replaced by the word "Three" (a "3.00" grade means that you are just in the 'average' level") The first line went like this : "I think I shall never see, a grade as lovely as three..."

(I added these lines last May 14th, for added information. I just shortened it for summary.)

-We're regarded as UP's "Centennial Babies", because we enrolled in UP during their 100th anniversary (UP was founded in 1908). Many activities will be up for us during this celebration.

-There are still opportunities up for me in UP, like more scholarships. For example, the Vicente Bello Scholarship. I'll try to inquire about this to the OSA at a later time.

-UP Mindanao's Library is really interactive. You can search for books and see its information right on the Net!

-UP Mindanao's Interactive Learning Center boasts of its 'learning objects'. I tried some of them and I was really impressed.

-We were taught of Anti-Sexual Harassment.

-There are LOTS of organizations to choose from, but we can only join it on our second year.

-I realize the GREAT distance of the Administration Building to the Kanluran Building... Transport will be quite a pain when I transfer from class to class. :-( But this will be an experience.

There are still more to remember and take in heart. I am greatly proud to be an "Iskolar ng Bayan!" See you! God Bless!

KENNETH
P.S. Thank you, MyBlogLog readers, for sharing your time reading my blog! I will never forget you! I will greatly appreciate more readers to support my blog.

Digg!

Add to Technorati Favorites

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOK AT THIS!: Venta5, A Great TV Shopping Hit

ASL Q&A: Pagsangkap

Freedom From Lies With Hatred: Contamination From Deceitful Content Against The Church And How I Dealt It With The Truth